Tuesday, March 27, 2012

(DIY) Lace Ruffle Diaper Cover Tutorial

I've been getting outfits together for Izzy's one year pictures coming up in March. The colors were inspired by an outfit I found at K-Mart: flutter sleeve eyelet dressgirl's cardigan sweater, and girl's floral leggings, in shark (all Route 66 from K-Mart). Then, I started brainstorming for her other two outfits. I finally landed on a pink lace ruffle petti romper and a ruffled diaper cover for when she breaks into her smash cake. I will do a post about the romper later, but for now, I'll show you how I made the diaper cover. My in-laws got me a sewing machine for Christmas, and this was my first real project on it!!!



Materials:
-diaper cover (I just grabbed one out of Izzy's drawer, but you can make one yourself if you feel so inclined. Here is a tutorial from CraftGossip.com)
-lace trim (I used 3/4" seam binding)
-elastic thread, on a bobbin
-thread that matches your lace, as well as a matching bobbin

1) First, I ruffled the lace using a tutorial from CraftyMama. Super simple. The only change I made was that I sewed the elastic thread down the middle instead of on the edge.

2) Next, I switched out the elastic bobbin with the regular thread and sewed the lace ruffle onto the diaper cover. I did it in one continuous piece so the elastic wouldn't come out. Make sure you reverse stitch at the beginning and the end to secure the elastic thread. You may want to draw lines on the diaper cover to help you sew straight.



See? Simple! Now it's time to slip it on the little baby booty and "ooo" and "aww!" Can't wait to see her smash that cake in it!

~Annie

No comments:

Post a Comment