Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Home Projects Part 3: Guest Room

While it's nowhere near being done, I have completed a few little projects in the guest room. First I snagged the comforter set (comforter, 2 throw pillows, 1 roll pillow, 2 shams, and a bed skirt) for just $20! Talk about bargain shopping. Not the softest, or best pattern in the world, but considering how often it gets used and how cheap it was, I am totally okay with it.


Next, I moved our desk into the closet. I can't even explain how thrilled I was when I figured out that it would fit. We rarely have guests, and when we do, they rarely require the entire closet to store their belongings. Having the desk in there is awesome. I can just pull the curtain shut, and whatever project I was sewing or working on goes away- it's great.


My most recent guest room project was a little display for the dresser. I use the dresser to hold all of my craft supplies and tools, and I use the top for work space when I'm working on a project. However, I figured that when we do have guests, we should have something attractive for them to look at. With this in mind, I made a display. I got a book from Dollar Tree, drew half of a vase shape and cut it out. I glued the ends together, and there you have it- a book "vase." If I did it again, I would use an old book. My new one was a little stiff and difficult to get it to fan out nicely. Oh well- live and learn. Next, I cleaned an old red wine bottle. Done. Then, I took a clean white wine bottle, filled it with green paint, and swirled it around until it was covered. Guest room dresser display- done.


I still need to fill up some wall space, and that will be my first task when we get back next fall. I'm thinking of just finding a nice branch to hang on the wall above the bed. Maybe spray paint it, maybe not. For the other wall, I think I'm going to put up framed dried leaves. Simple, pretty, goes with the theme. I'm also planning on finding two cheap matching lamps to go in the master bedroom, one for each bedside table. Then I will move my lamp in here, maybe paint it or otherwise dress it up. It's not much, but I think by next fall, it will be a great little guest room.

*UPDATE 4/17/13*

This update is months overdue, but I made quite a few changes to our guest room last fall. I'll just post pictures with a short explanation, and if you have any questions, you can comment or e-mail me.


My in-laws' curly willow tree died so I was lucky enough to score those branches for free! I found the vase at Marshall's in Dallas while vacationing with my parents last summer. I just hot glued some burlap to the top and called it good!


I wanted something big and cheap to cover the wall above the bed, so I relied on my trusty toilet paper rolls again. I used them in our bedroom too, but with a more organic, random look. I like the more geometric style of this one, too. I used the tutorial from The How-To Gal.


This was a pretty simple update. I added a little green bottle the the display, then some paper flowers to one of the vases. I took another branch (from the curly willow tree) and stuck it behind the dresser, then put some magazines on a tray that we received as a gift a couple years back.


My little craft closet. I had Ben put nails along the frame of the magnetic board to hold my thread and bobbins. I then spray painted it and the wooden shelf yellow. Next, I used cup hooks to hang dowel rods in order to hold my tulle ribbon and Kraft paper (which I need to get more of!). I like having a place for everything, and these small changes have helped to accomplish that!



Last, but certainly not least, I put up this window. I have an amazing window hook-up where I was able to score this beauty for FREE!!! I sprayed it with Krylon's Looking Glass Spray (I bought it at Hobby Lobby with the 40% off coupon, so it ended up being a little over $7 for the can) following this tutorial from Atta Girl Says. I could not love this window any more, especially since the only cost was for the spray paint!

So that's it! I think I am finally done decorating the guest room. I think I've done a pretty good job with the small space, especially considering my small budget!

No comments:

Post a Comment