Tuesday, March 27, 2012

(DIY) Towel Cake Tutorial

For my brother's wedding in December, I didn't want to just buy them a present and stick it in a bag. Bor-ing! I decided to put my spin of the always popular diaper cake on my gift. I went to Bed, Bath, and Beyond and purchased various kitchen items that they had registered for, then I got to work!



Materials:
-dish towels
-dish cloths
-rubber bands (one for each towel)
-pie plate
-dowel rod or utensil that will fit inside your "cake" to stabilize it
-various utensils and items to decorate your "cake" with
-coordinating ribbon
-coordinating tulle

1) Once you have all your items, begin rolling the towels into tubes and secure with a rubber band.

2) When you have all your towels rolled up, begin arranging them on the pie plate. I used four dish towels on the first layer, and wrapped a rubber band around all four. Then I inserted one of the utensils into the center, but if you can't find a utensil that is tall enough or small enough to fit, a dowel rod would work, too. The next layer I used 3 dish cloths, arranged them around the utensil, and secured them with a rubber band.

3) The third layer was just one dish cloth. I set it on top and fixed the whole thing to make it pretty.

4) Next, I began wrapping my ribbon around each layer to cover the rubber bands. I used hot glue to secure the ribbon in the back

5) Then, I added the rest of my utensils to decorate it, and added a "B" monogram wine stopper to the top as a cake topper.

6) When I was done, I placed the card inside, wrapped the whole thing in matching tulle, tied it shut and attached a cute velvet curly ribbon. I love how it turned out! In fact, my aunt ended up using it as a decoration for the guestbook table at the bridal luncheon the day before the wedding!



I seriously lucked out that my brother and sister-in-law registered for towels that matched their wedding colors (black, white, and fuschia). This project would be great for weddings, showers, even graduation gifts. You could also do this with bath towels or other household linens. This gift is as fun to make and give as it is to receive!

Let me know if you have suggestions for other variations on this idea.

~Annie

No comments:

Post a Comment